Homemade Laundry Detergent

To go along with my previous post, here is my recipe for laundry detergent. I have used it for six months and I am very pleased with the results. I no longer use Clorox2 but I still like Shout for stains. This detergent is suitable for washing cloth diapers (in my experience). I have not tried this recipe in an HE washer. I found this recipe on a blog that is no longer available.

1 bar Fels Naptha laundry soap
1 box borax
1 box washing soda

Grate the soap with a cheese grater. Get a HUGE mixing bowl. Stir the grated soap with the borax and washing soda until all ingredients are evenly mixed. Store mixture in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid.

Directions for use:

2 or 3 Tablespoons per load of laundry
I have found that 2 Tablespoons is plenty of soap for most loads of laundry. This recipe yields 19 cups which is 304 Tablespoons. If you use 2 Tablespoons per load, this recipe will wash 152 loads.

Cost Analysis:

Fels Naptha soap $0.99
Borax $2.59
Washing soda $2.29
Total cost $5.97
less than $0.04 per load!!!

Questions? Leave a comment!

0 comments: